APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
North Lands Creative and Berlin Glas are collaborating on an initiative to improve and increase dialogue between an artist from the Highland & Islands region in Scotland and an artist based in the city of Berlin at a time when mobility of artists has been badly affected by the pandemic.
The 4-week interdisciplinary and collaborative residency will focus on dialogue and interaction between the two artists. The primary purpose of the residency is to explore new ways of thinking and working based on the sharing of experience, knowledge and skills both physically at the artist designated studio location and also virtually.
We are particularly interested in hearing from artists or makers who wish to explore painting and mark making on glass and the technique of mould blowing. Each residency will be supported by the studios technical teams therefore experience in glass making is not essential. The opportunity may be of interest to painters, printmakers, designers, craft makers and also non-visual artists including writers and musicians but applicants must have an interest in exploring the medium of glass in their work. The AiR concept encourages experimental strategies aiming to provide the residency artists with the experience of
accomplishing something collectively.
We operate an equal opportunities programme and do not discriminate against age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation and disability.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please include in your application, (which must be communicated in English):
Description of your proposed project (max 2 pages) to include:
● Why this opportunity is important at this stage of your career
● How you intend to use your time at your eligible studio including your creative approach to using glass and the techniques you may plan to use
● Describe how you would collaborate with the artist and technical team at the other studio location
● How you would approach the associated program
Current CV (max 2 pages)
One Letter of Recommendation
Artist Statement that can be used for publicity purposes
Max 10 images of your work and a separate image description sheet.
In the case of non-visual artists please send links that we may view/ listen to your creative practice
Please email all of the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org
For Berlin Artists include the subject line: ISGNE AIR BERLIN 2021
For Highland & Island Artists include the subject line: ISGNE AIR LYBSTER 2021
Deadline for applications is Sunday 31 st January 2021.
what is included
● Individual discussion about your art with studio technical staff and established artists
● Group critiques moderated by the studio technical teams
● Group shared discussions on progress and project stages throughout the residency
● Insights into artistic research, technique and process – series of sessions
● Building an effective online presence as an artist – published spotlight on each artist
● Online presentation of your AiR – published journal/ diary by each artist on the project website
● Become part of our online network of artists with artists from all over the world
● Associated program – each artist will deliver an artist talk and a community workshop presentation as part of their AiR
● Donate a final piece/ s as a record of the artist time during their AiR
● Pop up exhibition opportunity at the end of the studio visit
The AiR has a duration of 1 month. Running from the 8th March – 2nd April 2021.
Highland & Islands Artist
based at North Lands Creative
● Access to the Alastair Pilkington studio facilities
● Budget £900 materials budget & £900 stipend
*Available to artists who live too far from the studio location to daily commute there is accommodation available in North Lands Creative own onsite residence.
based at Berlin Glas
● Access to the Berlin Glas studio facilities
● Budget 1000€ materials budget & 1000€ stipend